CONFEDERATED SALISH AND KOOTENAI TRIBES
OF THE FLATHEAD NATION
PO BOX 278
PABLO MT 59855
PERSONNEL OFFICE FAX: (406) 675-2711
WEBSITE ADDRESS: csktribes.org
****V A C A N C Y A N N O U N C E M E N T****
TITLE: Court Liaison/Coordinator
LOCATION: Salish Kootenai Housing Authority – Pablo, MT
SALARY: $17.48 to $20.24 per hour
CLOSING DATE: Thursday, February 21st, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
This is not a Testing Designated Position (TDP) within the definition of the CSKT Drug Testing policy. The successful applicant, if not already employed by the Tribes must pass a pre-hire drug test and serve a mandatory six (6) month probationary period.
This position is an integral part of the Salish & Kootenai Housing Authority (SKHA) and is responsible for coordinating legal proceedings and representing the SKHA in court actions, to verify accounts and collect monies owed on Payback Agreements, Stipulated Agreements or Judgments.
- Position represents SKHA in Tribal Court for small claims and other civil proceedings where tenant is not represented by an attorney. Refers civil cases to SKHA attorney when tenant has obtained legal counsel. Responsible for verifying amounts owed and preparing any witnesses to testify on behalf of SKHA.
- Position has the responsibility to research and prepare and file all legal court documents in accordance with federal, state and tribal laws as well as SKHA policies and procedures.
- Receives referrals from the Occupancy Department of tenants that vacate SKHA Units and owe monies. Is responsible for verifying amounts owed, researches and provides proper documentation to support monies owed, and coordinates the preparation of all correspondence in efforts to collect monies owed. Prepares and files small claims or civil actions where efforts to collect monies owed have been unsuccessful.
- Is responsible for generating Payback Agreements on vacated accounts, verifying each account and tracking these agreements and taking appropriate action to collect should agreements become delinquent.
- Responsible for identifying and admitting all evidence into the court record for small claims and civil actions. Prepares witnesses to testify on behalf of SKHA in civil actions for damages.
- Position works with the Tribal Court in a professional manner to assure availability for court and are notified of cancellations in a timely manner. Position works with the Tribal Defenders office and/or private attorneys in a confidential and professional manner.
- Position has the sole responsibility for monitoring Writs of Execution issued by the Tribal Court in which SKHA attaches per capita dividends. Position verifies amount of debt owed before each per capita dividend is issued. Prepares and submits the new balances for SKHA per capita hold lists as required.
- Position is responsible for monitoring judgments and filing Satisfaction of Judgments with the Courts when accounts are paid in full.
- Maintain and update all relevant information obtained on customer. Ensures that all updated data is stored in the correct fields in the database. Ensures files are kept in an orderly fashion when referring to them and the disposition of each in accordance with policy.
- Act in accordance with all federal, state and tribal laws as well as SKHA policies and procedures and relevant legal requirements.
- Submits written requests to the Finance Department when corrections are needed on accounts. Researches and verifies request and provides proper documentation for necessary correction.
- Responsible for posting units or mobile homes as abandoned according to SKHA Policy.
- Responsible for coordinating the re-key of a unit with CS&KT Law and Order and the Housing Authority in accordance with a court order. Works with former tenant to retrieve belongings after the re-key is done.
- Responsible to maintain updated status on Small Claims, Civil Actions, rental/lot fee payment agreements and payback agreements in the tenant/lessee/customers Navision notes.
- Responsible to submit a bi-weekly report on status of Small Clams and Civil Action cases to the Executive Director, Occupancy Manager and other staff that require this information.
- Responsible to scan in all Small Claims, Civil Action documents, rental/lot fee payment agreements and payback agreements to the tenant/lessee/customer card.
- Responsible for reviewing cases with the Occupancy Manager on a regular basis or as requested
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (AS REFLECTED ON THE TRIBAL EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION):
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Experience in small claims and/or civil court proceedings.
- Must be eligible and qualified pursuant to tribal law to practice in tribal court.
- Must possess a current valid driver’s license with no alcohol related convictions for the last three (3) years.
- Must be able to travel out of area for training.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS (AS DETERMINED BY THE INTERVIEW):
- Request a copy of position description for full details.
- Completed Tribal employment application.
- Copies of relevant academic transcripts and/or training certificates.
- Copy of current valid driver’s license.
- Proof of enrollment from a federally recognized Tribe if other than CSKT.
- If claiming veteran’s preference, a copy of DD214 must be submitted.
SUBMIT ALL OF THE ABOVE TO:
Cynthia Matt, Personnel Office, P.O. Box 278, Pablo MT 59855, Telephone 406-675-2700 Ext. #1043.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact Su-San Tenas @ 406-675-2700 Ext. #1536.