Download directly from our server :
Size: 178.39 KB
CONFEDERATED SALISH AND KOOTENAI TRIBES
OF THE FLATHEAD NATION
PO BOX 278
PABLO MT 59855
PERSONNEL OFFICE FAX: (406) 675-2711
WEBSITE ADDRESS: csktribes.org
****V A C A N C Y A N N O U N C E M E N T****
TITLE: Fire Technician-Type 2 IA Crew/Squad Boss
2 Contract Positions
LOCATION: Forestry-Division of Fire
SALARY: $15.94 - $18.47 per hour
CLOSING DATE: Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) within the definition of the CSKT Drug Testing policy.
The successful applicant, if not already employed by the Tribes must pass a pre-hire drug test and serve a mandatory six (6) month probationary period.
The primary purpose of this position is to lead a small (6-10 person) squad of highly motivated firefighters in fire suppression and prescribed fire assignments. The incumbent serves in a key fire management position as a Squad Leader on a Type 2 Initial Attack (IA) Crew.
- Serve as a Squad Boss on a highly motivated member of a Type 2 IA Crew on fire assignments.
- Serve as a Squad Boss as a highly motivated member of a Type 2 IA Crew on prescribed fire assignments.
- Supervise, direct and assist a Squad in fire suppression, prescribed fires, or fuels treatments operations.
- Supervise, direct and assist the construction of containment lines during wildland fire suppression and/or prescribed fire operations.
- Supervise, direct and assist mop-up operations during wildland fire suppression and/or prescribed fire operations.
- Supervise, direct and assist in line patrols and grid operations during wildland fire suppression and/or prescribed fire operations. Patrols containment lines with supervision on how to locate and extinguish sparks, flare-ups and hot spots that may threaten loss of control of the fire or prescribed fire.
- Supervise, direct and assist in backfire and burnout, mobile and stationary engine attack, construction of helispots, helitack operations and longline hookups.
- Serves as Type 5 Incident Commander during initial attack of wildland fires.
- Serves as a driver of Type 2 IA Crew vehicles.
- Performs the duties of a fully qualified Faller B.
- Serves as an Engine Boss for Type 4 through Type 7 engines with a one to three person crew.
- Distributes and controls work assignments among assigned squad members; assures timely accomplishment of assigned tasks; maintains work notes and records; makes reports on work accomplishments; ensures that the work is carried out safely; reports on performance problems and issues.
- Instructs subordinates in the use of suppression and prescribed fire tools and equipment to include, hand-tools, mountainous driving, pumps, ignition devices, suppression techniques, prescribed fire
- Leads subordinates in safety training techniques, practices, methods of fire suppression, prescribed fire. Participates in crew proficiency checks and drills. Participates in safety sessions and fire/fuels critiques.
- Provides training in fire suppression techniques and terminology.
- Inspect Type 2 IA Crew vehicle to ensure readiness.
- Ensures Squad tools and equipment are maintained and ready.
- Independently, or direct and supervise other crew members, to carry out specialized assignments such a tree falling/bucking, backfire and burnout, construction of helispots, specialized helitack operations, and hover hookups
- Responsible for the safety of the Squad or resources assigned.
- Supervise and assist in the performance of all aspects of wildland and prescribed fire operations including preparation, ignition, monitoring, holding, and mop-up. Collects prescribed fire weather data, fuel and/or soil moisture samples, maps projects, and maintains records.
- Leads and participates in fire/fuels safety training in the techniques, practices, and methods of fire/fuels activities, in the safe, efficient operation of tools, equipment, and vehicles used in fire/fuels activities, with emphasis on those used in the particular function to which assigned. Leads and participates in safety sessions and after action reviews (AAR). Ensures own and others’ safety in all aspects of fire/fuels assignments.
- Provides and receives training in specialized fire/fuels practices and equipment, CPR/first aid, standards for survival, and human resources.
- Is responsible for observing the rules of all aspects of safety. Applies practices and techniques to minimize resource damage.
- May inventory fuel beds, prepare associated reports, perform hazard fuel reduction projects, monitor burning conditions, pile vegetation debris and act in assigned positions such as RXB3 or other designated positions during actual fuel reduction efforts by prescribed fire.
- Assists with other forestry related activities as needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (AS REFLECTED ON THE TRIBAL EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION):
- A High School diploma (or equivalent).
- Required Qualification-Firefighter Type 1 (FFT1).
- Preferred Qualification-Incident Commander Type 5 (ICT5)
- Preferred Qualification-Faller 2 (FAL2).
- Must possess a State of Montana State driver’s license at the time of hire and possess throughout employment. BIA requirement of employee adherence to all responsibilities under the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Motor Vehicle Operator Policy.
- Must meet the Interagency Wildland Firefighter Medical Standards for arduous duty wildland firefighting.
- Must attain and maintain the prerequisite physical stamina and strength needed to perform rigorous duties and must pass the Work Capacity Test at the arduous level annually.
- This is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) under the Tribal Drug and Alcohol Policy and is subject to pre-hire and random drug testing requirements. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS (AS DETERMINED BY THE INTERVIEW):
- Request position description for a detailed description of desirable qualifications.
- Completed Tribal employment application.
- Copy of relevant academic transcript.
- Proof of enrollment from a federally recognized Tribe if other than CSKT.
- If claiming veteran’s preference, a copy of DD214 must be submitted.
SUBMIT ALL OF THE ABOVE TO: Cynthia Matt, Personnel Office, PO Box 278, Pablo MT 59855, Telephone (406) 675-2700 Ext. 1259.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Chris McCrea, Crew Foreman – (406) 675-2700 Ext. 6416